Thursday, April 2, 2015

Graduation!


I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So on Day Ten, my computer would not let me upload photos. I got it fixed a few days before I graduated. For that reason, and because I was back-breakingly busy, I stopped posting. As I head into Level 2 on April 6, I will update you all now. I learned a lot, but one thing was: don't kill myself trying to do this. I stayed until midnight or one a.m. many nights. I ran myself into the ground. The other thing: it was totally worth it. The skills I learned will allow me to create original raw food cuisine. And that is worth it's weight in gold. 



Working backward, these are the two dishes I made for my Video Final Presentation. We were to create original recipes. I did a spin on the Standard American Diet. Burgers, fries, and apple pie. I didn't make the fries, as we were to do two dishes, but talk about the third. A jicama slaw was my take on fries. Above is a burger on wheat bread, pineapple salsa, cheese, pickles, mustard, mayo, and ketchup. It came out terrific. I wanted to create a burger that looked like burger and I did.


I was even prouder of this. It's an apple & pear crisp with creme and caramel. I love apple anything. I have made great baked and raw apple crisps which a rustic. An apple crisp is a homey dessert. Presentation is everything at Matthew Kenney Culinary (henceforth known as MKC). I elevated my homey dessert to something elegant. And after I did my video and cleaned my kitchen, you know I ate this sucker. 

Any of you who want to be raw food chefs HAVE TO TAKE THIS COURSE. I messaged Mimi Kirk before I started. She is a seventy-something year old raw foodist who has written at least five books. When I saw she had taken this same class at MKC Santa Monica, I was like, "What? She's a raw food author!" She wrote me back and said that I had to do this. And she was right. 

If you want to go pro, even if you've been making raw food for years, like I did, do it. I lacked knife skills and flavor knowledge and technique. I have all of that now. If you take this class, you will not regret it. I am so glad I made this decision. 

Love,
Althea

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails